When the Not Too Young To Run bill was signed into law by President Buhari in 2018, it was greeted with high crescendo as it was assumed that young Nigerians would have the opportunity of contesting for political posts without necessarily minding the age limit which used to be a bane for them running.
The 2019 election did saw emergence of some youths breaking the ceiling. Also, many political appointments did had presence of youths than it used to be.
Moving down to year 2022, where the country is preparing for another general elections in 2023, more youths have shown interest in running for various elective posts. However, it seems that prominent politicians who have never leave the political space are now feeding in their offspring leveraging on the bill meant to give opportunity for the masses
While some quarters said it is greed on the part of the prominent politicians concern, some said every Nigerians have the right to vote and be voted for, in as much as the individual meets the age requirement.
On that note, here is the list of some sons and daughters of prominent politicians that have shown interest to contest for elective post in 2023 general elections:
1. Idris Abiola-Ajimobi: He the only son of the late Governor Abiola Ajimobi of Oyo. He has declared his interest to contest the Ibadan South-West State Constituency II seat on the platform of All Progressives Congress (APC) in 2023.
2. Muhammad Abacha: He has emerged as the governorship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for the 2023 general election in Kano. Muhammad is the son of Nigeria’s former military Head of State, Sani Abacha, who some people nicknamed “Nigeria Sugar Daddy” for the amount of looted fund recovered under his name.
3. Mustapha Lamido: Son of former governor of Jigawa, Sule Lamido, has emerged as the governorship candidate of the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the state.
Mustapha in primary election conducted on Wednesday, May 25, 2022 in Dutse, the Jigawa state capital defeated his challenger, Sale Shehu, a former Works Minister of State.
The former governor son’s emergence as a governorship candidate is coming amidst allegation of 1.3bn fraud by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commision (EFCC), which involved his father and his brother, Aminu Lamido.
4. Honourable Erhiatake Ibori-Suenu: She is the daughter of former Governor of Delta State, James Ibori. She had on Tuesday, May 24, 2022 emerged as the PDP candidate for the Ethiope Federal Constituency of Delta.
5. Bello El-Rufai: Is Governor of Kaduna state, Nasiru El-Rufai eldest son. He is contesting for a seat at the green chamber to represent Kaduna North Federal Constituency.
6. Marilyn Okowa-Daramola: The daughter of Delta state governor, Ifeanyi Okowa clinched the PDP Ika North East Federal Consistuency ticket of the state.
7. Orode Uduaghan: She is the daughter of former Delta state governor, Dr. Emmanuel Uduaghan. She contested for the PDP Warri North ticket but lost to one Fred Martins.
8. Aminu Sule Lamido: Another son of former Jigawa state governor, Sule Lamido, is said to be contesting for a seat at the green chamber to represent Buji, Birni Kudu Federal Consistuency.